ABOUT MAHONING COUNTY
MAHONING COUNTY COURT HOUSES
1846 - 1876 1876 - 1905 1905 - Presant
Mahoning County, an Indian word meaning "at salt lick," was set up as a county March 1, 1846. It was formed by combining the lower ten townships of Trumbull County, from land owned by the Connecticut Western Reserve, and the upper five townships of Columbiana County, from land owned by the Federal Government. The first county seat was in Canfield and the first Court House still stands just south of the Green.
In 1869 the county seat was moved to Youngstown, where a Court House was built on the site of the "Old Township Cemetery" at the corner of Wick Avenue and East Wood Street. The present Court House was built in 1905.
The County contains 14 townships: Smith, Goshen, Green, Beaver, Springfield, Berlin, Ellsworth, Canfield, Boardman, Poland, Milton, Jackson, Austintown, and Coitsville. All that remains of Youngstown Township is within the borders of Mill Creek Park, the rest is the City of Youngstown. The County contains five cities: Campbell, Canfield, Sebring, Struthers and Youngstown.
The County is bounded on the North by Trumbull County, on the South by Columbiana County, on the West by Stark and Portage Counties, and on the East by Lawrence and Mercer Counties in Pennsylvania.